Yabadabadoo - how to react in an intelligent way

Rush on from your first reaction to your second reaction: 



Yabadabadoo. This is how I react when I win the Lotto or receive other surprising and happy news. This reaction can be more or less juicy. But you probably get the point.

Ouch and shit ...
This is how I react when I am told that we have to reorganize the office and move to building H. The reaction can easily be more or less juicy. But you probably also understand this meaning.

Two understandable reactions
These reactions can last from a few seconds to several years. From 'Yabadabadoo' to 'Shit'. Quite human, in fact. And now comes my point:

From Yabadabadoo to Shit
We need to move on to a second reaction as soon as possible after the first one. The first reaction is 'Yabadabadoo' or 'Shit'. The first reaction lets the steam out of the container. First reaction dumps a whole lot of words on the floor. The first reaction is sometimes shrill and violent. First reaction is an animal reaction that does not involve our intelligence.

First reaction is a stepping stone
The reaction is there so that we can move on. It is a kind of step board. A stepping stone between the experience and what we can use the experience for.

Second reaction is the gold!

This is when you say words like:

  • I feel ...
  • I mean ...
  • I think ...
  • I'm experiencing ...
  • I believe ...

Then you start the 'laboratory' on the top floor. Then you start to combine, imagine, play, fantasize, dribble, fine-tune and many other good things.

I have won 2 mio. 
As soon as I'm done laughing, cheering and shaking my head I can start thinking about my future. I think I'll buy myself a new bike and a new pair of trainers or maybe a south sea island? I think I will contact my bank advisor. I find that 2 mio. is a lot of money, so I also want to talk to my family.

Use your second reaction

  • When you have to examine what you have learned.
  • When you have to vent something.
  • When you have to give each other constructive feedback.
  • When you want to examine what you are actually dealing with or facing.
  • When you want to dress yourself and each other for something that is coming up.

First reaction is just a reaction - it's the second reaction that counts.

The more intelligent - the more efficient. The faster you and I can pull ourselves to The Second Reaction - the stronger we are as people - alone and together.

Have a closer look at FISH! and one of four practices 'Choose Your Attitude' HERE and learn to choose your reaction, your behaviour, your attitude - and get control of yourself.



Michael Meinhardt
LEADERSwarehouse.com 
☎ +45 71 92 55 63 ✉ info@LEADERSwarehouse.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Commit to your purpose with FISH!

Avoiding Burnout - 5 FISH! Philosophy Strategies

Sådan kommer medarbejderne til at holde af hinanden og holde af deres arbejde